The BENEFIT project (Business models for Enhancing funding and Enabling Financing for Infrastructure in Transport) is one of the first H2020 projects. The innovative aspect of BENEFIT is that it builds on business models and introduces an indicator system describing all elements of transport infrastructure delivery and operation (Matching Framework).
By applying the Matching Framework, BENEFIT undertakes:
– An ex-post analysis and assessment of alternative funding and financing schemes (such as public, PPP and other) based on existing experiences in different transport sectors and geographical areas and their assessment with respect to economic development, value for public money, user benefits, life-cycle investment, efficiency, governance and procurement modalities, etc.; and, provides lessons learned, identification of the limitations of the various schemes and the impact of the economic and financial crisis.
– An ex-ante (forward) analysis and assessment of the potential of transport investments and the related funding schemes, including innovative procurement schemes still in a pilot phase, to contribute to economic recovery, growth and employment, in view of future infrastructure needs with a 2050 horizon for modern infrastructure, smart pricing and funding.
BENEFIT was concluded within 22 months (Dec. 2014 – Sept. 2016) and bears the following innovative aspects:
– Transport infrastructure business models and their project rating: Improved value propositions lead to funding schemes with enhanced creditworthiness enabling viable financing, balancing of project financing and funding risks, increasing the value basis of stakeholders and highlighting the potential of transport investments.
– Transferability of findings with respect to lessons learned, limitations and the impact of the economic and financial crisis through the introduction of typologies for particular sets of stakeholders under different scenarios.
– Open-access case study database in a wiki format
Entidades participantes: Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria y Comisión Europea.
Entidades colaboradoras o patrocinadoras del proyecto: Comisión Europea. Programa Horizonte2020.
Periodo temporal: 2014 – 2016
Personal Investigador y Colaborador
Lourdes Trujillo (IP), Javier Campos, Marianela González, Casiano Manrique de Lara, Ancor Suárez-Alemán, María Cabrera.
Documentos derivados del proyecto en los que participaron miembros del Grupo
Pantelias, A., Roumboutsos, A., Moraiti, P., Verhoest, K., Willems, T., Vanelslander, T., … & Voordijk, H. (2015). BENEFIT deliverable: D 3.1: methodological framework for ex-post analysis. Documento
Roumboutsos, A., Kapros, S., Moraiti, P., Karousos, I., Konstantinopoulos, E., Pantelias, A., … & Verhoest, K. (2015). BENEFIT deliverable: D 4.2: lessons learned 2nd stage analysis. Documento
Roumboutsos, A., Kapros, S., Moraiti, P., Karousos, I., Konstantinopoulos, E., Mladenovic, G., … & Verhoest, K. (2016). BENEFIT deliverable: D 4.4: effects of the crisis & recommendations.
Voordijk, H., Cardenas, I., Macario, R., Roumboutsos, A., Karousos, I., Liyanage, C. L., … & Moschouli, E. (2016). BENEFIT deliverable: D 5.1: potential of investments in transport infrastructure. Documento